If you follow me on Instagram, I’ve been talking a lot lately about my intentions for 2017. I’ve also shared what resolution I will be keeping OFF my list for 2017, and you can read more about that here and here!
I think New Year’s Resolutions can be super helpful, and fun! For me it’s motivating to have things I am concretely working towards, and actually write down my goals for the future. It creates a sense of optimism and purpose, and even if I don’t achieve each goal, at the end of the year it’s nice to look back and see what I was working towards and ways I worked towards each goal or maybe how each goal changed over the course of the year. If you’re not into New Years Resolutions, setting an intention in the form of a mantra, song, or Bible verse is a great alternative too! I’m all about symbolism so I’ll have one of each, as well as my 2017 goals. I have 10 goals for 2017, and I’ll be sharing 5 of them here:
- Intention #1: Go for counseling! I’ve been wanting to see a counselor or therapist for awhile now, and I finally found one in my area! I think counseling is a huge benefit for anyone, but for myself I know it does wonders to have someone to talk things through with. I’m really excited to see how this will help me grow and change in 2017. In 2016 I really reevaluated a lot of big areas in my life, and I feel like having someone to process those things out after the fact is going to bring me to new heights in 2017!
- Intention #2 Read more books about strong women! I have a list of books for 2017 including male authors and some fiction, but I specifically want to read books about inspiring women. Some of my top picks are: I Am Malala, Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina, The Feminine Mystique, A Woman Among Warlords, Spirit Junkie, and Michelle Obama: A Life! If you’ve read a book about or by an inspiring woman, tell me about it!
- Intention #3 meditate weekly! I love meditation, and even though I struggle to make time for it, whenever I do, it is worth it! I know that when I meditate regularly I have much less anxiety, and I am much less reactive. I mostly practice Christian meditations or simple mindfulness meditations, and you can find some of those here and here. (I am REALLY loving the Smiling Mind app!)
- Intention #4 Improve my cross stitch and embroidery skills! I have totally found a passion in cross stitching and embroidery, and I really want to improve my skills. I’ve sold more then half a dozen pieces since I started cross stitching in September, and you can check them out here under the hashtag #simplejoyscrafts. It’s so relaxing, relatively easy and affordable to do, and I love the sassiness of modern cross stitching! If you’re wanting to place an order for 2017, email me through the blog, or message me on my Instagram account 🙂
- Intention #5 Blog twice a month! This is a real stretch for me because my blog posts take A LOT of time to write! I’m hoping to do a few topical posts including posts on my favorite crunchy mom products, how to find your tribe, and regular posts about what I’m loving now! You could really help me reach this goal too, by commenting with suggestions for blog posts ideas, or emailing me if you would be interesting in guest posting on the blog!!! I have some great guest posts coming up in 2017 that I am so excited to share with you!
Some of my other intentions include goals for my health and fitness (included in my last post), family goals, financial goals, and intentions for my spirituality, friendships and marriage!
What are some of your goals for 2017? Do you find New Years resolutions or intention setting helpful? What word would you use to describe 2016? What was your highlight and lowlight? What area did you grow the most in? I hope you can find some time before midnight to reflect on 2016 and practice mindful goal setting for 2017!
2016 was intense, life changing, raw, and redefining. It was a real awakening for me in a lot of ways, and I know 2017 it going to be a year full of more life, growth, and making even more great things happen! And if you thought 2016 Brittany was intense, you better watch out – because 2017 Brittany is going to be o v e r t h e t o p!
Happy (almost) New Year friends! See you on the other side!